Sunday, September 11, 2011

Prompt 2 Response

Is remix/mash up considered illegal? Where is the line to draw for violating copyright? I personally agree that remix and mash up are illegal only if people try to make profits by such practices.

I agree with Chong’s idea: “How many times have lyrics like that become your Facebook status without quotes or reference to the author's name? I'm guessing the answer to both of those questions is "many" for nearly all of you guys.” I do. I have mashed up my thoughts with lyrics from other artists’ songs because the songs could perfectly express what I was thinking. However, should my practice be considered illegal and I should be punished because of it? I doubt it.

It depends on what people’s intention is to remix/mash up. If people try to make profits from others’ original ideas, they are violating the copyright law. However, I do not think it applies to my case, because I am not making any profits from what I have done – mashing up my thoughts with lyrics from other artists’ songs or giving comments on songs that are made by others. Instead, I think such communication would be beneficial to both artists and consumers – advertising the songs in one way and improving the quality of the songs/ people’s thoughts in the second way.

Each song’s lyrics are expressed by artists, but consumers could have different thoughts about the lyrics after they listen to the songs. In aspect of consumers, posting comments or using lyrics from a song is a plat form for people to communicate. Such way will improve the creativity of consumers as well as the quality of the songs. In aspect of artists, posting comments on their songs/lyrics is an advertisement for their work. Such practice will allow consumers to introduce the artists’ work and suggest whether people should listen to the songs. Therefore, I believe if people do not make profits from artists’ original ideas, mashing up/remixing would be beneficial for both artists and consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment