Sunday, September 11, 2011

Prompt #2 response

Many times when I turn on my computer, it's to sign on to Facebook or many other social sites that are popular these days. I often check media sites that follow on celebrity life styles and the new gossip in the hollywood world. When it comes to music I definitely have used websites like MP3 rocket and Limewire to download music for free, but I have never took parts of a song and remixed them together or did any sort of mash-ups. But one technology practice that I would say I am involved in is putting together videos of friends and family and posting it to sites like Facebook or Youtube. I simply use the application on my computer called Video Maker and construct one video out of many different ones. Most recently I made a video for my high school class of 2011. The video had clips from many different videos my other friends had previously posted and some clips from my school website. I also added music from all my favorite artists on my iTunes as a background to make the video better. It never occurred to me that this would be considered as a "mash-up" or a copyright law violation. I don't often involve myself in this activity but I have done it in a overall number of about 5 times.


I also have used song lyrics to past statuses on Facebook and Twitter to express how I am feeling or simply because I like the lyrics of the song. Does this mean that I owe Lil Wayne or Drake money because I used their original words to express my feelings and made it public by publishing it on a social site? Well I don't think so because those statuses are not meant to profit off of but just for my peers to know how I am feeling, which is what social sites primary purpose is anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment