Monday, September 19, 2011

Prompt # 3 Response

Free Writing:

It is easier for me to outline what I am going to write about before I start writing, so this blog post is a bit difficult. Looking over the assignment description, I already decided that I am going to focus on prompts two and three. In order to write what reforms should be made to the copyright law, I have to explain why I think it should be changed. What better way of explaining that then writing on how our personal freedom is being violated.

So far this is what I have for my thesis: The copyright law has certain limitations that violates what everyone is legally entitled to; that is the freedom of speech and the freedom of expression.

Some points I am going to mention:

- Mash-ups and remixes should be allowed. They should not be banned because they are just being used as a way to convey emotions. Also, it is a way to be creative; it is a form of art. That correlations with freedom of expression. One song cannot convey the same thoughts and feelings like re-mix can.( talk about certain clips of the video and Girl talk)

- I am not saying the copyright law should be eliminated because there are some valid reasons of having it. If people sell an artist's work then that should be considered illegal. They are basically taking the whole song and making profit from it.

-Remixes increases creativity. In order to be successful, people need to be able to connect through creativity. http://blog.ted.com/2008/11/the_powerful_li.php

creativity helps unit more people. Also, it allows people to express themselves in the best way possible. When a person goes to dance they should have the privilege to enjoy a piece of art (music) in which they can connect to. There is a greater chance of this happening in a remix than from one song.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome thesis! - I think the strongest part of your first point is that this is art and freedom of expression.
    I see that you are also addressing part of a counterargument here - where might you insert that into your paper?

    ReplyDelete