Sunday, September 11, 2011

Prompt #2

To be honest, I am not a very tech savvy person. I only use technology for the basics- I have a Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family and to share my experiences with them. I use the Internet to research things for schoolwork and occasionally for entertainment (e.g. YouTube). However, as hard as it may be to believe, I have never tried to create a remix or mash up or tried to illegally download music, t.v. shows, or movies. I think that it is nice to watch a movie at home when you’re feeling lazy and it would certainly be better when you can do this for no charge.

However, the real reason as to why I don’t partake in downloading things illegally is mostly because I am not sure how to and I am a little too nervous to try it. I know that it is relatively simple to do and the best part is that it’s FREE! Although I have to admit that the only time I purchase music on iTunes is when I receive a gift card from someone, so essentially most of my music is free. I suppose it is hard to stop illegally downloading things once you have started, because it is just so convenient. In my opinion, I wouldn’t consider this to be a criminal offense though. It just seems like taking part in these activities has become the norm and nobody is really being hurt in the process. Sure the music artists lose a few bucks here and there, but they are still wealthier than the majority of everyday people could possibly imagine. Even though it is a form of stealing, there are so many more severe cases of theft that the government should be concerned with. Who knows, the day when I try to do things illegally I will probably never want to go back to actually buying the songs or videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment