Monday, September 26, 2011

Prompt # 4 - Natalie

Facebook is most likely the biggest distraction I have from school work. Access to it is everywhere, on your computer, on your phone, iPod, and now even through your cable TV networks. I think that Facebook is more than just a social networking site that connects you to your friends, all on its own Facebook is its own "virtual world". I know for a fact I find out so much information about my family, friends and even the world by simply logging on.
I recall the after shock of the earthquake in August. I was laying on my couch, extremely sick, I honestly thought that the fact my couch was shaking was all a side effect of my medicine and the severity of my fever. It was not until I checked my Facebook that I quickly found out that I was not the only person who felt their house shake. I actually immediately turned on the television to see the news and even the news hadn't reported the earthquake after shock. I do not ofcourse condon the idea of relying on Facebook to be your news source, but there are times that I find out details about life and the world through my friend's statuses.
When I usually go online, I check my notifications, friend's statuses and their pictures. Recently with this new update, I feel like even more of a Facebook "stalker". I find out information about friends writing on their friend's walls, who aren't even my friends, which is considerably weird, thinking that my friends know my every move as soon as I log on. If I like a picture, comment, or status, everyone immediately sees in the side bar what it was. I think that because of this update, I have recently been using Facebook less.
Another website I have recently become addicted to is Tumblr. It is a website where people blog through the use of pictures, and writing. I use the word addicted because I find myself not even logging onto Facebook to go on Tumblr for 5 minutes and stay for an hour. With my work load right now, it might actually be a bad idea to even have such a website available. Re blogging the posts and seeing what people are blogging about is actually more interesting than seeing my friends complain about school and the weather on Facebook. But unlike Facebook, Tumblr does not keep my connected with my friends from home, so I do still check it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment