Sunday, September 11, 2011

prompt #2

I, along with many other students, am a very active user of the internet. I personally do not agree with the way people are being punished for committing copyright infringement. I think I should not be fined or put in to jail because I illegally download music from the internet. Yes, I do agree that I am stealing the music and might be depriving of an artist I listen to of about $20.00 for every record they create, but I think about this issue in a very logical way (or so I think). I know that before many of the artists we listened to became famous they did the same we did. I know they were not willing to pay one to three dollars for every song they added to their iPod. Therefore, they really shouldn't have any hard feelings towards us. These people are still rich and famous, since they go on tours, television shows, make appearances, and have loyal fans who do buy their music.

Also, I think that the copyright law is a bit of an exaggeration. Why is someone who records their child singing a song and posts it up on the internet is considered a criminal? If that's the case, then we are all criminals. I have recorded myself being silly and acting out the original video of a song, while the song plays on the background, various times. I am simply having fun. I am not trying to deprive anyone of their profits or taking credit for someone else's work.

Does this mean that those artists that take beats of other songs and switch it around a bit to make a whole new piece of work are criminals? How come they aren't being sent to jail or given fines? In one of the videos we saw, the spokesperson stated that some artist do allow others to be creative with their works. How and where are we informed of who these artists are? The law is simply not fair. I believe that only if someone takes the beat or lyrics to a song and try to make it their own and profit from it that they should be called criminals. I have a guilty free conscious because I am a logical thinker and I do not have all the money in the world to buy all of the songs that are in my iPod.

1 comment:

  1. That is how I justify illegal downloading. I download music weekly. To be honest with you, the only reason I sometimes hesitate is because I am scared of getting a virus in my computer, not because I feel bad that I am downloading music illegally. As much as I love artist like Justin Bieber and Rihanna, I do not love them to the point that I am going to pay 13 to 40 dollars for their music. I am a college student that needs money. I don't think that big time artist need that money. I understand that they should get paid because it is their job, but the get paid in other ways. When they perform or have a concert, they are being paid enough for the music they create. The only artist I pay for her work is Shakira. I love Shakira and I know she is a humble artist. I do not mind paying 15 dollars for every album her comes out with.

    ReplyDelete