Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blog #7 response

For my research paper i have decided to focus on the issue of gang violence in our nation. I chose this topic because this is a topic that i actually am very passionate about. Gang violence is a issue i feel affects everyone, not only those who are involved it but those just living around it. I live in a neighborhood where i experience the effects of this violence between these different groups of gangs. Not only are the lives of my family and friends in danger but every time a innocent life is included in this, it upsets me. I have friends who are involved in this type of lifestyle and they see in no way they are doing anything wrong. This is the reason i want to do an interview with one of the people who live this lifestyle and see no reason in why they should stop. i have intriguing and curious questions i would like to ask them about the reason they do this and that could hopefully lead me to not a solution but maybe an idea of why this happens. If I could understand these people and why they choose (if it's a choice) to live this way, it could help me come to a way to maybe even help them stop living this lifestyle.
The interviews could be a insight to the other side of gang violence that we dont get to read in the papers or see in the news. We get to hear it from someone on the inside. I don't know the main purpose for my paper yet but i know i want to discuss gang violence and why its such a serious controversy and why we should pay more attention to it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Janet!

    I noticed in your post that you mentioned that people "choose to live this way". What way do you mean? I feel like most people have a general idea of what gang violence is but how exactly does that translate into a lifestyle?

    Also, I think it would be really interesting if you could interview like different people who are immersed in gang violence. For example, you could get different perspectives from women and children or even someone who has gotten out of gang violence.

    Be careful! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ngomez said...

    Janet, your topic choice is very real with today's generation and I think it is great research idea. I always watch episodes of Gangland, and find some of the stories difficult to believe, because they often seem taken out of a movie script. The events these people go through because of gang violence is really unfortunate.
    My question is,that if you only do one interview, how can you sum up the lives of many people based on solely one person's experiences? I think the interview will give you insight as to that one person's experience in a gang, but they can't represent the group.
    Also, from knowing people personally who were/are involved in gangs, I know that each story is different, and each person has their own motives as to why they do what they do, so maybe instead of just focusing on your friend, you can look into other sources, like books and TV interviews ect. I remember reading "My Bloody Life", and I could not believe all the gruesome, but honest details he offered about gang life.It was a biography, so I don't know how much help that can be in this class, but It can guide you into a different direction.

    Hope this helps :) Good luck. I'm sure it will be an interesting subject to research

    ReplyDelete