Monday, October 17, 2011

Prompt #7 Response


I learned about medical ethics in my BME class last week, and I came up with the idea for my research paper in the writing class - Medical ethic. As a result, I want to write about animal testing for research, which refers to medical research. i.e. the development of drugs and surgical procedures. etc.

When I decided to write about animal testing, I thought it should be banned. However, as I have searched for more information about this topic, I found out that I actually believe that preliminary animal testing is necessary.

I'll focus on few questions;
-Why is preliminary animal testing necessary?
-What are the pros and ons for animal testing?
-Does testing on lab animals hurt?
-If people can't do animal testing, how can people ensure the effect of products before it goes to the market.

For now, I am still confused with my personal opinion, since I believe that emotion or prospective is the major determining factor, like whether a person believes the benefits of animal testing outweigh the problems associated with the practice. In addition, I also think that those ethical aspect actually overshadows both pros and cons of animal testing.....

I guess I'll argue that animal testing is necessary. Do you have any other great questions that I have to focus on?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - I think that you have a lot of good ideas here. I think that you may want to consider narrowing your topic somewhat. Start with secondary research - what are the issues surrounding animal testing? What are the pros and cons? And what primary research might you want to collect? Are you interested in people's opinions? Are you interested in knowing what people's current understanding of animal testing is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought is if you can go into a lab and observe - this is a form of data collection. You can make claims about your observations and this might also get you access to talking to researchers in your field, which is always a great benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Liz has a great point Jenny and this is topic that you are researching is fascinating!

    You should definitely ask a professor to go and sit in on one of their lab procedures because if you have direct experience on what you are speaking about I think you will be more trust worthy to the readers. I think your primary concern/question should be if animal testing is harming to the animals because once you establish that question I believe you could go into the so what? section of the essay and you could state that since it is/isn't harmful we should/shouldn't test on animals because it is beneficent. I hope this worked some what!

    Good luck Jenny!

    ReplyDelete