Friday, October 14, 2011

Prompt #7

The issue that I obtained from change.org is about the social injustice. It tells a lot about how a single mom with daughters was treated by the court just because she sent her kids to the school in district other than she lives. She had to face so many consequences, more than people could have ever imagined. For my final project I would like to research something similar to this issue where people has to stay under pressure and many situation. The best thing in my mind so far is doing research in recently moved immigrant in one of the Rochester’s community and figured out what are the challenges they have to face in their new home.

Some of us might know what it means to immigrate to the new place and settle down. Personally, I came to NYC, USA three years ago as an immigrant. During my first year of life in USA I had to face so much challenges, something that I had ever think of. The research I would like to do is about Bhutanese Refugee who has been resettling in Rochester. More specifically, I am going to find the challenges that the Bhutanese youth students have to face in their new land. I am interested in this topic because I am not only trying to research about the issue but I would also like to find the solutions for this issue. Back in NYC I participated in Leaders in Training at International Rescue Committee, where diverse students from different schools in NYC used to gathered together and talked about the issues that the new refugees youth are facing in their new home. This project is very good opportunity for me to do research on Bhutanese youth in Rochester and bring some changes if possible.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know who "Taken" is but I commented to this blog and titled it "COMMENT-BLOG 7"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tek - I think this is a great topic. Who are you thinking about researching? yourself? perhaps your brother who is attending East high school? I think the treatment that people face based on accent and skin color is a very worthy social justice issue. I look forward to talking with you about this more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, currently I am working with two juniors from RIT. They are photography major and they are doing the project as required by their photography class. They are doing research on immigrant issues in Rochester. They are interviewing different young students and exploring the problems they are facing so they will surely be my secondary source. For primary source I already talked with some of the recent immigrants to interview with. I knew a lady from Catholic Family Center (CFC) who is helping me to connect with recent immigrant refugees so that I can interview them and explore more from them.

    ReplyDelete