Friday, October 7, 2011

prompt #6 response.

I think online blogs are an exclusive community in themselves. There is an understanding amongst online bloggers that each person is allowed to post what they want, when they want, and how they want. You can definitely argue that not everyone is going to like or agree with what you post, but it's very rare that anyone will specifically ask you to remove a post. The bulk of the comments express another person's opinion, but no matter how bad these opinions get on blogs, they are usually not directed towards the removal of a specific post. I think that online bloggers share an understanding that everyone has the freedom to express themselves, and that by attempting to remove someone else's post, you are also contributing to the narrowing of your own freedom of expression. Another important value that is shared amongst online bloggers is honesty; this is logical because there is little reason to hide your true self when you can already remain annonymous. I know this is especially true for me; there are things that I would be willing to share on my blog that I have not shared with some of my best friends. This seems quite paradoxical because you would think that I would be much less comfortable sharing my secrets with a world of strangers, but I think online bloggers most value this kind of public annonymity. There is a safety net about this kind of sharing; I never have to worry about being judged as a person because I am no more than my words when I am online. I can detach myself as far from or attach myself as close to as I wish to what I post, but either way I can always protect myself. I think online bloggers also share a need for want of instant gratification. This might sound strange in terms of blogging, but the difference between blogging and the actual act of writing is that us bloggers get instant satisfaction from publishing our work. We can put something out in the world within the blink of an eye, and I don't think that we'd be willing to settle for any sort of slower pace lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you about everything! The purpose of having a blog is so that you can say anything you want to and not have to worry about having your identity revealed. In this situation it is much easier to share your culture and values with the entire cyber community because you don't need to agonize about being judged. Blogging is an outlet for many, and it is a place where you can exchange thoughts and ideas with people from all different backgrounds and cultures.

    ReplyDelete