Friday, October 14, 2011

prompt #7 response.

The issue on change.org that I wrote formal paper number 2 was about the marketing of healthy food to children. I am really interested in this topic for two reasons. Number one, health and healthy eating is super important to me as an athlete. I am also really interested in nutrition and learning more about how food really does change your life. Second, I think it would be really interesting to look into how children respond to these marketing techniques because psychology is also another topic that has really fascinated me. I thought that I could do surveys and interviews of children, or even college age kids, for my primary research into how we are affected by different marketing techniques. However, my main worry is that I will not have enough to talk about on this issue. I am not sure what problem I would be investigating because I am not clear whether there is or isn't a serious issue around this topic. For example, do marketing techniques that use popular pop stars cause children to pick sugary cereals over granola? I am not sure how to streamline my area of focus on this issue because I feel like there are so many surface questions to be asked.

I really want to research something that has to do with food justice though because I think we all forget that proper nutrition can be just as important as any other social right. Does anyone have any suggesting on other research topics or how I can streamline this one? Should I focus on one type of marketing? (This I would have to reasearch because I am not sure how marketing is even categorized.) Should I focus on a certain food group? This idea is definitely still in the works.

2 comments:

  1. From what it sounds like, it seems as though you are mostly focused on the effects of marketing on young children. But when you think about it, who is buying all of the food for children? It's the parents. Of course advertisements play a role in this equation, but it might be interesting to ask who is really at fault for the growing obesity rates in children, the marketing industry or parents? I know this is kind of a different take on what you had in mind but when I was thinking about your questions, the idea just came into my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! (: I actually just read an article that was refuting the idea that parents play a role in these growing health concerns. I think its a great suggestion but I'm worried that there might not be enough data to back it up because most of the focus is on how advertising affects children. But that is a really good suggestion and I will definitely include that as part of my paper if I do choose that topic!

    ReplyDelete