Monday, October 10, 2011

Prompt 6 Response - David

One of the spaces that I visit routinely is Facebook, and I definitely think that FB has shared values and culture from different countries. Facebook is used by users from all over the world, which does not only share the U.S. culture to users from other countries, but also is a platform for users from other countries to share their values with each other.
I am from China, and I personally think that I am able to share my Chinese value with people from other countries on Facebook. I work for the Chinese Students' Association (CSA) at University of Rochester and I plan events and invite people on Facebook. One of the examples is "China Nite," one of the biggest CSA events that celebrates Chinese Spring Festival. On Facebook, I write a brief description under the RSVP page, introducing the traditional Chinese festival to people from different countries. On Facebook, I am able to spread Chinese culture to my friends on the website.
Facebook does not only enable us to share culture from different countries, but also allow people from out of the States to learn how U.S. allow people to talk freely on the website. For example, as a foreign student, I am surprise to see many critics towards the government from the citizens when they rise their concerns on specific issues (which is not allowed in China). From Facebook, I learn more about the U.S. culture as well - to speak freely.
Therefore, I think online resources such as Facebook has shared culture and values from different countries.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's amazing how you can easily relate to the sharing of cultures with something that many of us take for granted; the freedom of speech. I never really thought of it that way till you mentioned it. I also can relate, because In SALSA (Spanish and Latino Student's Association) we utilize facebook to promote events that are happening around campus as well. It is a fast and easy way to inform people of the events you are planning.

    ReplyDelete