Monday, November 28, 2011

How I write... Natalie

When I am going through the difficult task of starting a paper, at first I just sit and read the directions, over and over again and then stare at a blank computer screen. Throughout high school, my teachers attempt to have me write an outline prior to starting my paper, but I never felt like they helped me. It was a big issue during my junior year, when in the state of New York, you're required to take the dreaded English Regents in order to graduate. That year, I realized that I am more of an off hand writer. As in, I would much rather sit down and just write out what I have, and later edit it, than try to come up with a web or outline of my thoughts. So now when I write any paper, I like to sit and think first and later move on to actually writing the paper. I usually block myself from Facebook and any other distracting website like Youtube ect.., that way my paper has my undivided attention. If I'm sitting there for over an hour, I will usually award myself with a little personal break, but sometimes that ends up being longer than I intended on making it. After I finish my papers, I do not like to immediately proof read them because I feel like at that point, I won't catch any errors. I'd much rather go back the next day and read it again, with a fresh mind set, and by doing this, I catch a lot more mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment