Sunday, November 13, 2011

prompt #11 response.

What I know:
I know that food companies spend billions of dollars a year advertising to children because it does work. All the different forms of advertising (commercials, ads, colorful graphics, music, and games) are employed to get kids to buy high sugar and high fat products. It has actually been proven that kids will be more drawn to a certain product simply because they have seen it advertised; it has also been proven that kids will be more drawn to a product just because it has their favorite cartoon character on it. The incident of childhood obesity and diabetes is no coincidence as advertising is reaching more kids nowadays who are being exposed to more and more media. Going into the grocery store for a simple product is like entering a bombardement of advertisements for everything else in the store, and it is no coincidence that the advertisements that are seen more are linked to the products that are most popular. Most parents don't read the nutrition facts when their kids want a certain food, and this has been linked to unhealthy eating habits in every aspect of life.

What I want to know:
I want to find out which advertising strategy is most effective; I want to know what people remember about their favorite cereal ads 10 years ago and if that has affected their cereal choices now. My survery questions will be as follows:
1. What is your favorite cereal (now)?
2. What was your favorite cereal 10 years ago when you were a child?
3. Tell me about why it was your favorite cereal then or still is now? (or perhaps: What do you most remember it terms of cereal advertising?)
4. I may also consider asking: What made your cereal choice change?
I want to interview both males and females, and athletes and nonathletes to see if these factors have an influence on my results. I want to see if there will be a separation between people who report their favorite cereal being lucky charms because of the colorful leprechaun cartoon versus those who report their favorite cereal as being plain cheerios because of its lack of advertising.
Questions I have or problems I am encountering:
I am having difficulties with developing survey questions that I am happy with. I thought I was done with that step, but I still feel as though my survey questions contain a lot of bias because I am sort of prompting people about the advertising aspect of the question. I also am not sure if my questions are structured specifically enough that I will have data that will streamline into set categories. I feel as though my questions leave me with too many possible answers. What do you guys think of these questions?

1 comment:

  1. I actually think your questions are free of bias for the most part, but are you doing an interview or a survey? Because it seems like your first two questions would fall under the survey category since they are straightforward questions that require a short answer. The second two questions are more open-ended and would probably be more like interview questions.

    ReplyDelete