Monday, November 14, 2011

Prompt #11 Response

What I know:

I searched some important definitions about animal research, starting from what animal testing is and a short history of animal experiment. This will be a part of my introduction.
For the literature review, I looked for the information about two opposite arguments - the opinion of people who agree with the animal research, and the opinion of people who disagree with the animal research. I also found the book, 'Animal as a person', which described the discourse about this issue regarding necessity issue and justification issue. I have recent journals and articles about current issues regarding laboratory animals in medical research. The ethical considerations for laboratory animals are also included in this literature review.
In order to answer my question, 'Are the legal protections for laboratory animals in the US enough? If not, how can we improve?', I have been searching for any information about law that shows the weakness of the system in the US.

What I want to know:

I want to figure out that specifically what parts in the law/protection system in the US are not sufficient and how to improve. In order to do that, I will also need some information about good protection system and organizations/groups in other countries.

Questions I want to ask:

I still think that my topic is not narrowed enough. I will focus on the protection system/law for laboratory animals in US and suggestions to improve the system. How can I specify more?


1 comment:

  1. Jenny,

    I think you can narrow your topic by focusing on a specific animal or even a field of animal testing. Maybe you can figure out how different forms of animal testing are categorized (i.e. testing by make up companies, testing by pharmaceuticals, testing by hospitals, etc). What kind of animal testing are you most interested in? Remember how we talked in class about how animal testing may be regulated differently based on the purpose of the testing? Perhaps you want to focus on a field of animal testing that is known to be most severe in its treatment of animals so that you can really see if there are sufficient needs to improve it.

    ReplyDelete