Monday, November 14, 2011

Prompt #11

1) What I know:

So far I have collected lot of information about the challenges that are facing by recent immigrants in United States. I have done this by interviewing people and through online journals and articles. As of now, I know that language barrier and acculturation stress are two major difficulties for recent immigrants. Most of the senior immigrants those who are resettling in Rochester have never go to school back in Bhutan because they have limited excess to school in the place they grew up. Unlike senior Bhutanese seniors, Bhutanese youth got chance to go to the school in Bhutanese refugee camp in Eastern Nepal, where they have spent sixteen years. Bhutanese youth has mentioned that they have limited English language proficiency and they are hoping to improve it as time goes by. Therefore, language has been much more difficult issue for the Bhutanese immigrants in United States.


2) What I want to know:

I want to know more about how getting involve into different cultures has been difficult for them. While, I know few facts about this issue from two Bhutanese immigrants that I have interviewed. However, I still want to learn more about this so I have scheduled the appointments with two Bhutanese immigrants for next week. Hopefully, I will get as much information as I would like to collect.

3) Questions I have or problems I am encountering:

One problem that I am having trouble with is developing a counterargument. I am not sure if I have to develop a counterargument while I am comparing Bhutanese immigrants issues from my primary research and secondary research. In my opinion my paper would looks more strong if I include counterargument in it so I need help with how could I develop a counterarguments in my paper.

2 comments:

  1. I know your topic focuses on the challenges that immigrants experience, but I am not sure about your argument. Are you arguing that because of these challenges immigrants have to experience, the government of the United States has to improve the immigrant system for immigrants? If I am right, I would say that since immigrants come to the United States, hoping better life and future, they should have expected those challenges to make their dreams true in the United States as your counterargument. If immigrants didn't want to have challenges, they shouldn't have immigrated, just hoping better lives with chances in the United States.
    I also agree with your idea that developing a counterargument will make your paper strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the point that Jenny is making here, but I don't know that you necessarily need to solve this problem by making an argument for how the government should handle this. Simply exploring the issue and finding themes among participants and explaining their experiences against the literature is enough of an argument. You are making an argument for how your own research aligns (or not) with the secondary research you found.

    ReplyDelete